Missing teeth can greatly affect a person’s self esteem and quality of life.
Causes and problems
Missing teeth can result from:
- Removed for orthodontic reasons;
- Teeth not developing;
- Gum disease and poor oral health which causes tooth loss and
- Advised to have teeth removed rather than saved due to financial constraints.
(NB: Teeth should only be removed if they are condemned and you are planning to proceed with dental implants or bridges).
Some of the problems with lost teeth include:
- Difficulty eating or chewing as food can get wedged into the gum;
- Speech problems if the missing teeth are near the front of the mouth;
- Shifting teeth – when teeth are removed the surrounding teeth move in. So the longer you have missing teeth, the smaller the gap. In addition, teeth above the gap can grow downward into the gap which can cause bite problems.
Some of the solutions we may look at using are:
Before and After Missing Teeth images
I had many concerns about the appearance of my teeth as I did not have many of them. Now I can smile and eat with confidence thanks to Dr Lim and the team at Chatswood Dental Associates. Overall I am very happy with everything!”, Margaret.